Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not just another Meat Pie

My day started like any other, gym, shower and ready for work. Grab my lunch from the fridge on my way out the door. Sounds pretty safe right? Wrong. 


Lunchtime rolls around, I warm up my lunch (which is in a plastic container - the non see-through kind) and prepare to eat, what I thought was, red curry. Wrong AGAIN!


I had accidentally picked up the wrong lunch box. To my horror I had my house mates stir fried chicken with red cabbage and noodles. I was mortified and embarrassed. This had never happened before. 


Shamefully I contact my house mate to let her know my error and my promise to cook the house a meal as an apology for stealing her (quite delicious) lunch.


At around 3.00pm - 4.00pm each day I sit planning what I'm going to eat for dinner (shhh don't tell my boss). On this day I decided on beef bourgignon with parmesan and chive dumplings - it sounded amazing, my mouth was watering.


So I'm wandering around the grocery store collecting the items I need - eschallots, mushrooms, carrots, beef... beef?... surely the supermarket will have the right beef... but i'm looking, and looking and re-looking and can not find any stewing beef! There goes that idea for dinner. 


Onto plan B - the good old, no need for a recipe - humble meat pie!


Humble beef mince pie


550g minced beef
oil (although not always needed - just depends on the fattiness of the meat, or should I say... quality)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2x onions chopped (alternatively you can use a leek)
200g mushrooms (optional)
1/2c mixed vegetables (fresh or frozen - I chose frozen as it is easier)
1 jar plain tomato pasta sauce
1tsp Italian herbs
1x oxo cube
1/2c - 1c beef or vegetable stock 
salt and pepper (for seasoning)
cayenne pepper (if you like a little zing)
cornflour to thicken the sauce
2x sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg slightly beaten (for glazing the pastry)
Tomato sauce to serve


Preheat oven 180C.


In a large frying pan Brown the mince.


In a separate pan sautee the onions and mushrooms until onions are clear and mushrooms are soft (but not shriveled).


To the mince add the garlic and oxo cube and stir in. Then add the onions and mushrooms. 


Sprinkle the herbs, add the pasta sauce, mixed veges and the stock. Taste and season.


If the sauce is too runny add some cornflour (i'd say 1 tsp at a time) stir in thoroughly and make sure flour is cooked off properly (otherwise you get a floury tasting mince mixture).


Once you're happy with the consistency of the mince set aside to cool slightly.


You can now prepare your pie dish.


Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on the base of your pie dish pressing into the corners and trimming the edges.


Spoon your mince mixture into the pie dish until 3/4 full, then top with the remaining pastry.


Remember to poke a couple of holes in the lid of the pie to allow for steam to escape. 


Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry has puffed and is golden brown. 


Serve with tomato sauce.


********************************************************


The housemates loved it, I hope you do too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment